Senior Regulatory Permitting Specialist – Southern California
HELIX is seeking an experienced, highly motivated, full-time Senior Regulatory Permitting Specialist to join our Southern California team. HELIX provides CEQA/NEPA, biological, cultural resource management, habitat restoration, regulatory permitting, environmental compliance monitoring, acoustics and noise control, air quality and greenhouse gas, and GIS services to both the public and private sectors.
Candidates must have the ability to manage the permit processes on multiple projects, work well with others on teams; and be able to complete projects on schedule and within budget. Candidates must have strong client and agency relationships, and must have the technical expertise, critical thinking skills, enthusiasm, and persistence to effectively manage environmental permitting processes. The ideal candidate will possess strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills because critical aspects of this position include developing solutions for project challenges, forging strong collaborative relationships and building consensus among team members, staff, clients, and agencies. A flexible mindset and adaptability to changing circumstances is imperative.
Sr. Regulatory Permitting Specialist Responsibilities
The Senior Regulatory Permitting Specialist responsibilities will include: preparation and processing of Clean Water Act and California Fish and Game Code permit applications; leading federal and state Endangered Species Act consultations and permitting; representing clients in meetings and phone calls with regulatory permitting agencies; developing and negotiating mitigation strategies; tracking schedules and budgets; interfacing with biologists, GIS specialists and other environmental technical experts with a focus on biological studies and permit processing; and managing project contracts. The position will also require business development, preparation of proposals and related marketing support, and management of multidisciplinary teams of biologists and other consultants. Production of high-quality work products and the provision of excellent client service are mandatory.
Sr. Regulatory Permitting Specialist Minimum Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience), preferably in an environmental science, biology, or related field.
- Ten or more years’ experience in the federal and state wetlands permitting, endangered species permitting, or biological resources project management.
- Expert level knowledge of wetland and endangered species regulations in California.
- Excellent writing, communication, and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability in completing projects on schedule and within budget.
- Strong client and agency relationships.
Additional Skills Considered a Plus
- A Master’s degree or higher in environmental science, natural resources, or related field
- Field expertise in performing jurisdictional delineations, focused species surveys, and/or habitat restoration.
- Proven success in business development
- Ability and desire to grow into a position with increasing supervisory and management responsibilities
Dependent on experience, and robust benefits package.
Qualified candidates must apply online with a resume and cover letter by clicking “Apply Now” below.
HELIX is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and an inclusive work environment. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply regardless of gender, race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, disability, age, genetic information (including family medical history), political affiliation, military service or veteran status. These protections extend to all management practices and decisions, including recruitment and hiring, appraisal systems, promotions, training, and career development programs.