Senior Environmental Project Manager – San Diego County
HELIX is seeking an experienced Senior Environmental Project Manager for either of our San Diego County offices, located in La Mesa and Carlsbad. HELIX offers environmental, biological, landscape architecture, regulatory permitting, cultural resources, acoustical, air quality, habitat restoration, and GIS services to both the public and private clients across a variety of sectors. Our Environmental Planning Groups prepare documentation and technical analyses in accordance with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) for a wide range of projects including federal, state, and locally funded transportation projects; water/wastewater, storm water, and energy/utilities facilities; private sector residential, commercial, and industrial development; public plans and programs; educational facilities; and military facilities. Our Environmental Planning Groups also encompass our noise and air quality/greenhouse gas (GHG) services.
This will be a senior position within the San Diego County Environmental Planning Group, reporting to a Group Manager, and with direct responsibility for business development, maintenance of client relationships, and project management, working with the other members of the San Diego Environmental Planning Group staff, as well as staff and specialists in our other Divisions and offices throughout California.
The ideal candidate must possess strong project management and leadership skills, with the proven ability to complete projects within time and budget constraints. They will have strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build strong, collaborative relationships among team members, staff, clients, and agencies.
General scope of responsibilities:
- Manage on-call contracts and CEQA/NEPA compliance for medium to large projects, and assist others in the completion of environmental documents as needed, completing high-quality work products on time and within budget, to HELIX standards and to the satisfaction of lead agencies/HELIX clients.
- Build relationships with key clients. Identify, target, and develop preferred new clients with significant opportunities. Play an active role in strengthening key client relationships. Participate in negotiation and closing of high-priority contracts.
- Prepare proposals/qualifications submittals as applicable, and manage or participate in interviews to help the company win contracts and meet sales and profit goals.
- Successfully represent HELIX in communications, meetings, and contract interviews with existing/prospective clients and public agencies in support of project, proposal, and business development efforts.
- Coordinate with environmental planning, GIS, word processing, graphics, biology, cultural resources, habitat restoration, accounting, and other HELIX staff and managers, as well as subconsultants, as necessary for the completion of proposals and projects.
- Ensure the quality of the work products that you prepare, and assist in quality assurance reviews of work products produced by others.
- Develop, maintain, and update professional knowledge in CEQA and NEPA compliance and related environmental services topics.
- Assist in training staff.
- Work as a team member and collaborate with the other groups in southern California and help to foster a positive and professional work atmosphere.
- Complete required administrative tasks on time and to the satisfaction of the administrative managers.
Minimum Requirements for Senior Environmental Project Manager:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in environmental studies, environmental science, environmental engineering, public planning, or a related field
- Minimum of 8 years of experience managing CEQA and NEPA compliance programs and preparing high-quality CEQA and NEPA documents, including at least 5 years of experience as a CEQA/NEPA consultant
- Strong business development experience, with existing productive client relationships in southern California
- Excellent writing, verbal communication, and presentation skills
- Knowledge of southern California environmental and regulatory settings, with related environmental/planning work experience within that setting
- Proven experience managing large-scale, multi-disciplinary projects within time and budget constraints
Additional qualifications considered a plus:
- Experience managing environmental review of water/wastewater infrastructure projects in conformance with CEQA
- Experience managing environmental review of small to large transportation projects in conformance with CEQA and NEPA, including projects performed directly for Caltrans Districts 7, 8, 11 and/or 12; SANDAG, and local jurisdictions through the Caltrans Local Assistance program
- Master’s degree or higher in environmental studies, environmental science, environmental engineering, public planning, business, or a related field
- American Institute of Certified Planners or Certified Environmental Planner certification
Dependent on experience (DOE)
HELIX is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and an inclusive work environment. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply regardless of gender, race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, disability, age, genetic information (including family medical history), political affiliation, military service or veteran status. These protections extend to all management practices and decisions, including recruitment and hiring, appraisal systems, promotions, training, and career development programs.