Sr. Biology Project Manager – Southern California
HELIX is seeking a team orientated and motivated Sr. Biology Project Manager with critical thinking skills and a strong work ethic, to join one of our southern CA office locations (La Mesa, Carlsbad, Irvine, or Pasadena). HELIX provides CEQA/NEPA, biological, cultural resource management, habitat restoration, regulatory permitting, environmental compliance monitoring, acoustics and noise control, GIS, and air quality and greenhouse gas services to both the public and private sectors.
The Senior Biology Project Manager’s responsibilities include managing complex biological resources-related projects, leading biological due diligence assessments, biological constraints studies, biological technical reports, regulatory permit applications, and agency negotiation during the environmental review and permitting process. The position will also include developing solutions to complex biological issues, coordinating with clients and regulatory agencies on mitigation strategies, and leading proposals, interviews, and business development activities for the biology division.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Provide technical direction and strategic solutions for challenging biological and regulatory issues
- Assist with mentoring biology staff on project management and developing solutions for challenging biological and regulatory issues
- Proactively manage all projects to obtain results on-time and on-budget
- Assist with providing QA/QC of technical documents and proposals
- Coordinate with team members from other departments to develop proposals and implement projects
The Senior Biology Project Manager may be required to conduct biological fieldwork on occasion; however, primary responsibilities are not fieldwork related. The ideal candidate must possess strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills because critical aspects of this position include developing solutions for project challenges, forging strong, collaborative relationships, and building consensus among team members, clients, and agencies.
Minimum Requirements for the Sr. Biology Project Manager:
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience) in an environmental science, biology, or related field (degree in biochemistry or microbiology not acceptable)
- 10+ years of experience in the environmental field leading and assisting with task implementation for biological resources, natural resources, or other similar projects
- 5+ years of project management experience for biological resources, natural resources, or similar projects
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Demonstrated experience in preparing biological resources related technical reports for CEQA/NEPA compliance
- Proven experience managing large scale natural resources based projects
- Proven experience preparing biological resources related mitigation plans in accordance with agency requirements
- Experience in managing a project team and multiple projects concurrently
- Proven ability to complete projects within time and budget constraints
- Strong client and agency relationships; demonstrated experience leading client management and agency communications
Additional skills considered a plus:
- Master’s degree or higher in Biology, Natural Resources, or related field
- Experience processing state and federal resource agency permit applications and consultations for jurisdictional waters/wetlands and endangered species
- Demonstrated experience with marketing and business development
Dependent on experience (DOE); great benefits package included
Qualified candidates must apply online with a resume and cover letter by clicking “Apply Now” below.
HELIX is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage all qualified applicants to apply regardless of gender, race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, age, family status, or veteran status.