Senior Architectural Historian – Southern California
HELIX is seeking a Senior Architectural Historian to supplement the high-quality cultural resources management team in our southern California locations (Irvine, Pasadena, Carlsbad and La Mesa). HELIX offers cultural resources, environmental, biological, acoustical, air quality, and GIS services to both the public and private sectors. Our cultural resources staff completes all types of cultural resources studies for a wide range of local, state, and federal projects.
The successful applicant will assist in conducting cultural resources/built environment studies for a wide range of project types throughout California, reporting to the Cultural Resources Group Manager. Responsibilities will include proposal preparation, research, field surveys, evaluations, impact analyses, report preparation, and communications with other cultural resources and environmental planning staff, subconsultants, clients and agency staff. The ideal candidate will have knowledge and training in historical resources in California, with at least eight years of related experience.
Candidates must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills and analytical abilities. The applicant must have a strong work ethic, positive attitude, and work well with others. Knowledge of the California historical, environmental, and regulatory setting is desired.
Minimum Requirements for Senior Architectural Historian:
- Graduate Degree in historic preservation, historic architecture, history, or a closely related field;
- A minimum of eight years of professional experience in applying the methods and practices of historic preservation in the identification, evaluation, and treatment of historic resources;
- Strong research, writing, organizational, and verbal communication skills;
- Knowledge and experience with historic preservation and cultural resources management within the State of California; and
- Knowledge of the federal and California laws and regulations pertaining to cultural resource protection and management, and ability to evaluate compliance with relevant federal and state regulations, policies and procedures pertaining to cultural resources.
Additional skills considered a plus for Senior Architectural Historian:
- Historic archaeology experience and capabilities;
- Experience with development/implementation of research designs, preservation plans, and mitigation measures (e.g., HABS/HAER documentation);
- Experience with development/implementation of construction monitoring plans and programs;
- Experience in the marketing of historic resource services.
Dependent on experience (DOE)
All candidates must submit a cover letter with their resume. Click “Apply Now” below to get started.
HELIX is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and an inclusive work environment. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply regardless of gender, race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, disability, age, genetic information (including family medical history), political affiliation, military service or veteran status. These protections extend to all management practices and decisions, including recruitment and hiring, appraisal systems, promotions, training, and career development programs.