Senior Acoustics/Noise Specialist – San Diego County
HELIX is seeking a Senior Acoustics/Noise Specialist to support the high-quality consultant teams at our headquarters office in La Mesa, California. HELIX offers environmental, biological, acoustical, air quality, cultural resources, and GIS services to both the public and private sectors. Our Environmental Planning Group prepares environmental documentation for a wide range of projects including residential and mixed-use projects, educational facilities, recreational facilities, roadways, rail, airports, energy/utilities and water/wastewater facilities, commercial/industrial development, and military facilities.
This Senior Acoustics/Noise Specialist position requires a minimum of 8 years of experience as an analyst conducting modeling and impact assessment of noise and vibration in conformance with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA).
This position is best suited for a candidate with a positive attitude and strong research, writing, mathematical/scientific, analytical, and verbal communication skills. This individual must have the ability to coordinate effectively with multiple environmental planning project managers and to prioritize and complete high-quality work within specified deadlines and budgets. The applicant must have a strong work ethic, positive attitude and experience working in a team-oriented environment.
Please note that this is not a laboratory, engineering, environmental testing, or hazardous materials assessment position. Please submit a cover letter in addition to your resume.
Specific responsibilities would include the following:
- Conduct ambient noise measurements using ANSI Type II sound level meters and vibration meters.
- Research local noise ordinances, general plan policies, and federal guidance, as applicable, to identify applicable impact significance thresholds and compliance standards for analyses in different jurisdictions.
- Quantify construction, stationary and mobile noise levels and vibration levels using computer models and spreadsheets. Computer models include the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) Traffic Noise Model (TNM), Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) and Federal Transit Administration (FTA) rail models, FHWA Roadway Construction Noise Model (RCNM), Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Aviation Environmental Design Tool (AEDT), and DataKustik Computer Aided Noise Abatement (CadnaA) program.
- Assess compliance with applicable standards and CEQA significance thresholds.
- Develop mitigation strategies and prepare compliance plans.
- Manage the preparation of technical studies and CEQA/NEPA document sections.
- Provide compliance services (construction noise monitoring and exterior-to-interior Title 24 analysis).
- Interact effectively with staff, clients, and agencies, providing creative solutions and communicating technical information in a clear and effective manner.
- Prepare technical study proposals and applicable proposal sections, contract amendments, and participate in marketing efforts and proposal interviews.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in an acoustics, physics, engineering, environmental science or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience in noise analysis
- Minimum 8 years of experience (outside of academic requirements) preparing noise/acoustic technical studies for projects in California, including studies in support of CEQA/NEPA documents.
- Familiarity with Noise Study Reports (NSR) and Noise Abatement Decision Reports (NADR) consistent with the requirements of 23CFR772 and the Caltrans Traffic Noise Analysis Protocol.
- Proficiency with ANSI Type II noise level meters and noise models including the FHWA Traffic Noise Model (TNM), CREATE rail model, CadnaA, and the Roadway Construction Noise Model.
- Ability to conduct outdoor fieldwork, including lifting and carrying up to 30 lbs. if necessary.
- Knowledge of California and federal regulations, legal decisions, and guidance pertaining to noise issues.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Competency in Microsoft Office (Word and Excel).
Additional skills considered a plus:
- Approved noise consultant for services in San Diego County and/or other California jurisdictions.
- Experience in proposal preparation and marketing of consulting services and established client relationships.
- Institute of Noise Control Engineering (INCE) certification.
- Masters or Ph.D. degree in environmental science, planning, engineering, or related field.
Dependent on experience (DOE), and comprehensive benefits package
All candidates must submit a cover letter with their resume. Click “Apply Now” below to get started.
HELIX is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and an inclusive work environment. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply regardless of gender, race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, disability, age, genetic information (including family medical history), political affiliation, military service or veteran status. These protections extend to all management practices and decisions, including recruitment and hiring, appraisal systems, promotions, training, and career development programs.