As-Needed Archaeologists – Southern California
HELIX is currently seeking as-needed Archaeologists for our Cultural Resources Division in southern California. HELIX offers environmental, biological, landscape architecture, regulatory permitting, cultural resources, acoustical, air quality, habitat restoration, and GIS services to both the public and private clients across a variety of sectors.
As-Needed Archaeologist responsibilities may include records searches and background research, field surveys, excavation (testing and data recovery), construction monitoring, lab work (cleaning, sorting, and cataloging artifacts), and assistance with report and Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) 523 form preparation. Candidates must be comfortable with strenuous hiking and working in remote/desert areas, sometimes for extended periods; be knowledgeable of the archaeology and culture history of California; be self-motivated and possess strong organizational, interpersonal, and verbal communication skills. Candidates must be willing to work independently and must have a positive attitude. Projects are located throughout southern California, with particular emphasis on San Diego, Riverside, and Orange counties.
Please provide a detailed resume or curriculum vita demonstrating your project experience and how you meet the requirements and additional skills noted above.
Minimum Requirements for Archaeologist:
- A minimum of one year of experience doing archaeological field surveys, excavation, or construction monitoring at an academic or professional level
- Must be currently enrolled in (or have previously completed) college-level classes in anthropology, archaeology, history of California, or closely related field, or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of the archaeology and culture history of California
- Ability to identify artifacts and cultural features
- Possess a valid California Driver’s License and 3 years clean driving record
- Ability to do strenuous hiking and work full days in remote/desert areas
- Possess excellent written/verbal communication skills
Additional skills considered a plus for Archaeologist:
- Bachelor’s Degree in anthropology, archaeology, history, or closely related field, or equivalent experience
- Experience in southern California archaeology highly preferred
- City of San Diego-qualified monitor
- Experience in preparing DPR forms
- Experience with GPS equipment
- Willingness to travel and stay overnight
- Willingness to perform night work (projects starting at 5pm or later)
Dependent on experience.
This position is an as-needed position and is utilized to supplement our full-time workforce. You will not be guaranteed a minimum number of hours.
All candidates must submit a cover letter with their resume. Click “Apply Now” below to get started.
HELIX is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and an inclusive work environment. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply regardless of gender, race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, disability, age, genetic information (including family medical history), political affiliation, military service or veteran status. These protections extend to all management practices and decisions, including recruitment and hiring, appraisal systems, promotions, training, and career development programs.