As-Needed Architectural Historian/Historian – Southern California
HELIX is seeking an As-Needed Architectural Historian/Historian to supplement the high-quality cultural resources management team in southern California. HELIX offers cultural resources, environmental, biological, acoustical, air quality, and GIS services to both the public and private sectors. Our cultural resources staff completes all types of cultural resources studies for a wide range of local, state, and federal projects.
The successful As-Needed Architectural Historian candidate will assist in conducting cultural resources/built environment studies for a wide range of project types throughout California, reporting to the Cultural Resources Group Manager. Responsibilities will include research, field surveys, evaluations, impact analyses, report preparation, and communications with other cultural resources and environmental planning staff, subconsultants, clients, and agency staff. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience in historical resource analysis and environmental compliance in California, with at least two years of directly related experience. With this being an as-needed position, the number of hours is expected to vary and cannot be guaranteed.
Candidates must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills and analytical abilities. The applicant must have a strong work ethic, positive attitude, and work well with others. Knowledge of California’s historical, environmental, and regulatory setting is essential.
Please provide a detailed resume or curriculum vita demonstrating your project experience and how you meet the requirements and additional skills listed.
Minimum Requirements for As-Needed Architectural Historian:
- Graduate Degree in historical preservation, historic architecture, history, or a closely related field
- A minimum of two years of professional experience in applying the methods and practices of historic preservation in the identification, evaluation, documentation, and treatment of historic resources
- Strong research, writing, organizational, and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge and experience with historic preservation and cultural resources management within the State of California
- Knowledge of the federal and California laws and regulations pertaining to cultural resource protection and management, and ability to evaluate compliance with relevant federal and state regulations, policies, and procedures pertaining to cultural resources.
Additional skills/accomplishments considered a plus:
- Related coursework associated with historic archaeology and/or architectural history, and related cultural resources and environmental topics
- Historic archaeology capabilities
- Experience with development/implementation of research designs, preservation plans, and mitigation measures (e.g., HABS/HAER documentation)
- Experience with development/implementation of construction monitoring plans and programs.
Dependent on experience (DOE)
Please provide a detailed resume or curriculum vita demonstrating your project experience and how you meet the requirements and additional skills listed. Click “Apply Now” below to get started.
HELIX is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage all qualified applicants to apply regardless of gender, race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, age, family status, or veteran status.