Landscape Architecture Group Manager -Northern California
HELIX is seeking an Landscape Architecture Group Manager for its Northern California offices in Folsom and Roseville. Our landscape architecture group works on a range of high-quality and environmentally-focused design and planning projects including parks, trails, plazas, streetscapes, habitat restoration, and commercial developments.
The Landscape Architecture Group Manager will be a member of the HELIX leadership team, reporting directly to the Regional Manager and with direct responsibility for growing and managing HELIX’s Landscape Architecture Group. This includes responsibility for business development, staff recruitment, and financial performance for the group, working with the firm’s senior leadership, other group managers, technical specialists, and operations staff. Additionally, the group manager will oversee projects and participate in design ranging from public outreach meetings, construction document development, and construction administration.
Our team culture is rooted in collaboration and communication, so this position is best suited for a candidate with a positive attitude and strong verbal, graphic, and written communication skills, and the ability to work with a team. This individual must have the ability to coordinate effectively with other project managers, and to prioritize and complete high-quality work within specified deadlines. Attention to detail, including strong spelling, proofreading, and organizational skills, is required. The applicant must be a creative problem solver with strong analytical skills.
General Scope of Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement a business plan to include targeted clients and project pursuits. Lead landscape architecture business development and marketing efforts for the Sacramento area and other northern California counties and support multi-disciplinary marketing/business development efforts for the company as a whole.
- Prepare proposals/qualifications submittals as applicable, and manage or participate in interviews to help your group, our Northern California offices, and the company win contracts and meet sales and profit goals.
- Build relationships with key clients. Identify, target, and develop preferred new clients with significant opportunities. Play an active role in strengthening key client relationships. Participate in negotiations and closing of high-priority contracts.
- Successfully represent HELIX in communications and meetings with existing/prospective clients and public agencies in support of project, proposal, and business development efforts.
- Manage large projects and on-call contracts, completing high-quality work products on time and within budget, to HELIX standards and to the satisfaction of our clients.
- Ensure that all work products prepared by the Landscape Architecture Group undergo a quality control review prior to client/agency submittal; sign and stamp landscape plans.
- Enhance and maintain Landscape Architecture Group work product standards.
- Effectively supervise direct reports, including assigning work, developing work and training assignments to further their careers, performing annual performance reviews.
- Work with Human Resources to address personnel matters within the group.
- Licensed Landscape Architect in California.
- Minimum of ten years of project management experience as the person responsible for project or task budget, schedule, deliverables, and client contact.
- Minimum of five years of experience managing a design team.
- Strong business development experience; existing productive client relationships in the Sacramento area and other Northern California counties.
- Competence in preparation of all aspects of construction documents, including layout, grading, irrigation, planting, details, specifications, and cost estimates.
- Excellent communication skills, including verbal, written, and presentation skills.
- Ability to complete projects within time and budget constraints.
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in AutoCAD, Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Proven experience in park and recreation, open space, and trail master plans.
Additional Skills Considered a Plus:
- Knowledge of ecology, biology, land use planning, environmental engineering, and related topics
- Fluency in a language other than English
- Licensure in state other than California
- ReScape (Bay Friendly or River Friendly) qualification
- SITES or LEED credential
- Irrigation auditor certification
- ISA Certified Arborist or ASCA Registered Consulting Arborist
- Habitat restoration and design experience
Dependent on experience (DOE)
All candidates must submit a cover letter with their resume. Work samples will be requested prior to interviews. Work samples shall be a maximum of fifteen 8.5×11 pages in PDF format not exceeding 10 Mb and include a minimum of 5 project examples. Click “Apply Now” below to get started.
HELIX is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage all qualified applicants to apply regardless of gender, race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, age, family status, or veteran status.