GIS Specialist – Northern California
HELIX is seeking a GIS Specialist to join the team in one of our northern California office locations (Folsom or Roseville). HELIX provides CEQA/NEPA, biological, cultural resource management, habitat restoration, regulatory permitting, environmental compliance monitoring, acoustics and noise control, air quality and greenhouse gas, and GIS services to both the public and private sectors.
The GIS team supports 50+ environmental planners, biologists, archaeologists, and a variety of other technical staff. They provide analysis and cartographic services for technical reports, including vegetation and sensitive resource mapping, analyses of project impacts, and development of resource management and mitigation plans.
This position requires design, layout and production of GIS datasets and cartographic output. The candidate should be a reliable, self-motivated individual with attention to detail and a positive attitude. This individual will need the ability to communicate effectively with project managers and be able to prioritize, multi-task and complete high-quality work within specified deadlines. Customer service is a priority in the GIS department.
The candidate must have professional expertise using Esri’s ArcGIS Desktop 10.x software, including Spatial Analyst and 3D Analyst. Typical duties include GIS data management, data conversion, map creation, and metadata generation and maintenance, for small to large projects. Must have the ability to incorporate, edit and manage various types of data into GIS.
Minimum Requirements for the GIS Specialist:
- Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent experience) in geography or closely related field with a concentration in GIS.
- 1 year of experience using Esri’s ArcGIS Desktop 10.x software.
- Knowledge of geospatial principles, practices, and standards.
- Experience performing analysis using geoprocessing tools within ArcGIS Desktop.
- Proficiency in cartography and map design, including an understanding of coordinate systems.
- Knowledge of GPS technology, field data collection techniques, and data integration to GIS using ArcGIS Collector (or ArcGIS Field Maps) and/or ArcGIS Survey123.
- Experience authoring, updating, and managing web services, web maps and applications in ArcGIS Online for Organizations or Portal.
- Familiarity with the Northern California geographic environment, including mapping of environmental resources, impact analyses, and knowledge of biological, archaeological, paleontological, and habitat restoration data sources.
Additional skills/accomplishments considered a plus:
- Drone pilot, or experience processing drone flight data, preferably using ArcGIS Drone2Map.
- Experience working in the environmental consulting industry.
- AutoCAD experience (preferably AutoCAD Map), including using it as a standalone software, and converting data to/from ArcMap.
- Experience using the Adobe Suite, preferably Adobe InDesign.
- Experience using Esri’s newest software ArcGIS Pro.
Dependent on experience (DOE)
Qualified candidates must apply online with a resume and cover letter by clicking “Apply Now” below.
HELIX is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage all qualified applicants to apply regardless of gender, race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, age, family status, or veteran status.