Environmental Planner – San Diego County
HELIX is seeking an Environmental Planner for its San Diego County office in La Mesa, California. HELIX offers environmental, biological, landscape architecture, regulatory permitting, cultural resources, acoustical, air quality, habitat restoration, and GIS services to both the public and private clients across a variety of sectors. Our Environmental Planning Group prepares documentation and technical analyses in accordance with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) for a wide range of projects including transportation, energy/utilities and water/wastewater facilities, planned communities, residential and mixed-use projects, commercial/industrial development, educational facilities, agricultural and mining operations, and military facilities.
The Environmental Planner position involves research and preparation of environmental documents in compliance with CEQA and/or NEPA, working as a member of a multi-disciplinary team. In addition, the position may support HELIX’s noise, air quality/greenhouse gas, and other specialists in conducting field work and in the preparation of technical studies. Training will be provided.
The Environmental Planner position is best suited for a candidate with a positive attitude and strong research, writing, mathematical/scientific, analytical, and verbal communication skills. Writing will comprise a major part of the responsibilities of the position. This individual must have the ability to coordinate effectively with multiple project managers, and to prioritize and complete high-quality work within specified deadlines. Attention to detail, including strong spelling, proofreading, and organizational skills, is required. The applicant must have a strong work ethic, positive attitude, and experience working in a team-oriented environment.
Please note that this is not a laboratory, environmental testing, or hazardous materials studies/management position.
Minimum Requirements for the Environmental Planner:
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in environmental studies, environmental science, geography, natural science, environmental engineering, public planning, or a related field
- Knowledge of the California environmental and regulatory setting, obtained through intern, volunteer or work experience, and/or related environmental/planning education within that setting
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in the English language
- Strong research, mathematical/scientific and analytical skills
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to commute to, and work from, our La Mesa office an average of at least two days per week (and up to five days per week if that is your preference). If choosing to work remotely, you will be responsible for your home office and need to maintain high-speed internet service capable of supporting video conference calls and handling large documents.
Additional qualifications considered a plus:
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in environmental studies, environmental science, geography, natural science, environmental engineering, public planning, business, or a related field
- One to three years of related professional work experience in the research and writing of CEQA and/or NEPA documents, such as EIRs, EISs, Initial Studies, and MNDs, or supporting technical studies/analyses of economic/fiscal, noise, air quality, agriculture, water quality, geology, or visual or community impacts
- Related education and/or experience within Southern California, especially San Diego County
Dependent on experience (DOE)
All candidates must submit a cover letter with their resume. Click “Apply Now” below to get started.
HELIX is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage all qualified applicants to apply regardless of gender, race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, age, family status, or veteran status.