Biology Group Manager – San Diego County
HELIX is seeking a team orientated and motivated Biologist/Regulatory Specialist, with critical thinking skills and a strong work ethic, to join one of our San Diego County office locations (Carlsbad or La Mesa) as a Group Manager. HELIX provides CEQA/NEPA, biological, cultural resource management, habitat restoration, regulatory permitting, environmental compliance monitoring, acoustics and noise control, GIS, and air quality and greenhouse gas services to both the public and private sectors.
The Biology Group Manager will be a member of the HELIX leadership team with responsibilities including managing a team of biologists and managing projects, which include biological surveys, habitat restoration, regulatory permitting, and monitoring projects. The position also will include resource agency consultation, client coordination, collaboration with other HELIX departments and offices, and preparation of proposals and related marketing support. The ideal candidate must possess strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills because critical aspects of this position include developing solutions for project challenges, forging strong, collaborative relationships and building consensus among team members, staff, clients, and agencies. A flexible mindset and adaptability to changing circumstances is imperative.
Other Responsibilities include:
- Provide technical direction and strategic solutions for challenging biological and regulatory issues
- Oversee the growth and mentorship of biology staff direct reports
- Collaborate to continue to grow HELIX’s southern California biology division
- Proactively manage all projects to obtain results on-time and on-budget
- Lead, coordinate, and evaluate performance of all staff
- QA/QC technical documents and proposals
- Coordinate with staff from other departments to develop proposals and implement projects
Minimum Requirements for the Biology Group Manager:
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience), preferably in an environmental science, biology, or related field.
- 10+ years’ experience in the environmental field carrying out biological resources, natural resources, or similar projects
- 5+ years project management experience
- 3+ years leading a team and managing direct reports
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Proven ability to complete projects within time and budget constraints
- Strong client and agency relationships; demonstrated experience leading client management and agency communications
- Possess strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills to develop solutions for project challenges
Additional skills considered a plus:
- Master’s degree or higher in Biology, Natural Resources, or related field
- Proven experience managing large-scale natural resources based projects
- Experience processing state and federal resource agency permit applications and endangered species consultations
- Demonstrated experience with marketing and business development
Dependent on experience (DOE)
HELIX offers a competitive benefits package, that includes:
- Medical Coverage
- Dental Coverage
- Vision Coverage
- Life Insurance
- Personal Time Off
- Bonus Program
- ESOP participation
- 401K participation
We also have robust, award-winning wellness and community volunteer programs and much more!
Qualified candidates must apply online with a resume and cover letter by clicking “Apply Now” below.
HELIX is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and an inclusive work environment. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply regardless of gender, race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, disability, age, genetic information (including family medical history), political affiliation, military service or veteran status. These protections extend to all management practices and decisions, including recruitment and hiring, appraisal systems, promotions, training, and career development programs.