Biologist – Riverside County
HELIX is seeking a team orientated and motivated Biologist with critical thinking skills and a strong work ethic to join our Riverside, California office location. HELIX supports a hybrid work environment that balances the ability to work in the office and from home, when needed, with the greatest emphasis on maintaining employee safety and wellbeing. HELIX provides CEQA/NEPA, biological, cultural resource management, habitat restoration, regulatory permitting, environmental compliance monitoring, acoustics and noise control, GIS, and air quality and greenhouse gas services to both the public and private sectors.
The Biologist responsibilities include supporting the HELIX biology division and our project managers and senior biologists with biological resources-related project work including:
- Conducting or leading biology surveys, including habitat assessments, vegetation mapping, jurisdictional delineations, and/or focused species surveys.
- Conducting or leading biological monitoring for construction/restoration projects.
- Drafting or leading preparation of due diligence, focused survey, habitat assessment, biological technical reports, annual reports, restoration plans and jurisdictional delineation reports, including analyzing impacts and identifying mitigation measures.
- Drafting or leading preparation of Western Riverside County MSHCP reports, including HANS, DBESP, and MSHCP compliance reports.
- Assisting project managers with preparation and processing of wetland permit applications, HANS applications, and DBESP analyses.
- Maintaining organized and accurate field notes and maps, project files, work logs, etc.
- Providing high quality work products on schedule and within budget.
- Participating in business development by keeping resume current, doing a great job on projects, and looking for possible leads for new work.
- Preparing or assisting project managers with proposals and augments for private and public projects.
The ideal candidate must possess strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills because critical aspects of this position include developing solutions for project challenges, as well as forging strong, collaborative relationships and building consensus among team members, staff, clients, and agencies. A positive attitude, flexible mindset and adaptability to changing circumstances is imperative.
Minimum Requirements for Biologist:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in an environmental science, biology or related field (degree in biochemistry or microbiology not acceptable)
- Minimum of 4 years of demonstrated experience (outside of academic requirements) as a professional terrestrial biologist (not marine biologist), including experience with an environmental consulting firm
- Demonstrated experience working with Southern California terrestrial flora and fauna
- Experience with field data collection methods and equipment
- Demonstrated experience preparing technical reports
- Experience with environmental compliance monitoring during construction
- Experience with native habitat restoration
- Possess excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel, Teams, etc.)
- Must be able to hike long distances over varying terrain under varying weather conditions
- Valid California Driver’s License with a clean driving record over the last 3 years
Additional skills considered a plus:
- A Master’s degree or higher in biology, natural resources, or related field.
- Permits to conduct focused surveys for Southern California special-status flora and fauna
- Experience with conducting jurisdictional delineations, conducting California Rapid Assessment Method (CRAM) analyses, and preparing Clean Water Act permit applications
- Experience with preparing Western Riverside County Multiple Species Habitat Conservation Plan (MSHCP) and other biological technical reports
- Experience with preparing Federal/State Endangered Species Act documentation
- Experience with finding solutions to complex biological project constraints and presenting recommendations to clients
- Experience with mentoring/leading less experienced biologists in the field and with report writing
Dependent on experience (DOE); comprehensive benefits package included
Qualified candidates must apply online with a resume and cover letter by clicking “Apply Now” below.
HELIX is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage all qualified applicants to apply regardless of gender, race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, age, family status, or veteran status.