As-Needed Air Quality / GHG / Noise Specialist – San Diego County
HELIX is seeking a motivated As-Needed Environmental Specialist – Air Quality, Greenhouse Gas (GHG), and Noise Studies to support the high-quality consultant teams in our La Mesa, California, office. HELIX offers environmental, biological, acoustical, air quality, cultural resources, and GIS services to both the public and private sectors. Our Environmental Planning Group prepares environmental documentation for a wide range of projects including residential and mixed-use projects, educational facilities, recreational facilities, roadways, rail, airports, energy/utilities and water/wastewater facilities, commercial/industrial development, and military facilities.
This Environmental Specialist position requires a minimum of 2 years of experience as an analyst conducting modeling and impact assessment of air quality/GHG and/or noise in conformance with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA). Specific tasks would include the following: air quality analysis (criteria air pollutant emissions, general air quality conformity, air toxics and health risk assessments, source dispersion modeling), GHG emissions analysis (construction and operation emissions, source reductions, climate change policy/climate action plan consistency assessment), and noise analysis (ambient noise measurements, stationary and mobile source noise modeling, construction monitoring). While experience in both noise and air quality/GHG is desirable, if the selected candidate has only noise or only air quality/GHG analysis experience, HELIX will provide training in the other service area.
This position is best suited for a candidate with a positive attitude and strong research, writing, mathematical/scientific, analytical, and verbal communication skills. This individual must have the ability to coordinate effectively with multiple planning project managers, and to prioritize and complete high-quality work within specified deadlines and budgets. The applicant must have a strong work ethic, positive attitude and experience working in a team-oriented environment. This position is an as-needed position and is utilized to supplement our full-time workforce. You will not be guaranteed a minimum number of hours.
Please note this is not a laboratory, environmental testing, or hazardous materials studies/ management position.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in an environmental science, planning, engineering, or related field.
- Minimum 2 years of experience (outside of academic requirements) preparing air quality, GHG emissions, and/or noise/acoustic technical studies for projects in California, including studies in support of CEQA/NEPA documents, GHG reduction plans, or compliance verification.
- Knowledge of California and federal regulations and guidance pertaining to air quality, GHG, and noise issues, including the Clean Air Act, Assembly Bill 32, Senate Bill 32, Senate Bill 375, Title 24, and CEQA/NEPA.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills; a demonstration of these skills may be required during the interview.
Additional skills considered a plus:
- Proficiency with CalEEMod, AERMOD, EMFAC, CALINE4 air quality models and Microsoft Office software programs, including Word and Excel.
- Proficiency with ANSI Type I/Type II noise level meters surveys and noise models including the FHWA Traffic Noise Model (TNM), CREATE rail model, CadnaA, and the Roadway Construction Noise Model.
- Approved air quality and/or noise consultant for services in San Diego County and/or other southern California jurisdictions or certified CARB GHG verifier.
- Experience in proposal preparation and marketing of consulting services and established client relationships.
- Experience preparing environmental documents in compliance with CEQA and NEPA (Environmental Impact Reports or Statements, Environmental Assessments, Initial Studies, Mitigated Negative Declarations).
- Masters or Ph.D. degree in environmental science, planning, engineering, or related field.
Dependent on experience (DOE)
Qualified candidates must apply online with a resume and cover letter by clicking “Apply Now” below.
HELIX is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage all qualified applicants to apply regardless of gender, race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, age, family status, or veteran status.