Entry-level Biologist – Orange County
HELIX is seeking a motivated Entry Level Biologist with critical thinking skills and a strong work ethic to join our Orange County office located in Irvine, California.
The Entry-level Biologist is a full-time position that will include working independently and also with teams for surveying and monitoring. Responsibilities may include construction monitoring; restoration monitoring; assistance with vegetation mapping, sensitive species surveys, jurisdictional delineations, and other field work; data entry; report writing; and other tasks related to biology workload requirements. Candidates must have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in an environmental science, biology, or related field; have southern California flora and fauna knowledge; possess excellent writing skills; be proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel; and be comfortable with strenuous hiking and working in remote areas. Candidates must also demonstrate excellent communication skills, including using creativity and analytical skills to develop solutions for project challenges.
- Bachelor’s degree in or equivalent in an environmental science, biology, or related field (degree in biochemistry or microbiology is not acceptable)
- Intern, volunteer, or research experience (outside of academic requirements) in an environmental, biology, or related field
- Valid California Driver’s License with a clean driving record over the last 3 years (state on resume or cover letter)
- Knowledge of southern California flora and fauna
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Ability to do strenuous hiking and working in remote areas
Additional Skills Considered a Plus:
- At least 1 year of experience with construction monitoring
- Experience conducting flora and/or fauna surveys in southern California, preferably with an environmental consulting firm
- Experience with GIS
- Experience with restoration planning and/or monitoring
- Possession of permits to survey for listed species
- A positive attitude, strong work ethic and must be a team player
Dependent on experience (DOE)
Qualified candidates must apply and send resume and cover letter through CareerBuilder.com, accessible by clicking “Apply Now” below.
HELIX is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage all qualified applicants to apply regardless of gender, race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, age, family status, or veteran status.